About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Wednesday 5 May 2010

where I've come from and where I'm going

in terms of weight loss and getting fit again, that is!

now... I've really never been naturally skinny, it's all curvy women from both mum and dad's side of the family so I know that's not what I'm naturally meant to be.

when I was little, I was as a skinny as a ruler - I needed belt and braces to hold my trousers up!

in my teen years, mainly down to poor diet, little motivation when it came to sports and then later a sporting injury, I quickly piled the weight on.

I also have PCOS and now a borderline underactive thyroid which both make it really easy to put weight on and very very difficult to lose it.

About 8 months I had my son, due to breastfeeding and not having time to eat I dropped right down to little over 9 stone (I usually hover about the 12-13 stone region), now... while this in terms of my BMI is still within my "ideal" range, it just didn't suit me. to be honest, looking back at photos from then, I looked malnourished - this is probably one of the better pictures from that time, all the others are just too awful to share! I really had no muscle tone, so I was pretty much just skin and bones. I was a size 18 when I first dared to try and get back into normal clothes after being pregnant - some 4 months after he was born, and I lost the best part of 5 stone in 4 months - now even I can tell you, that's not healthy!

So... I don't want to get back down to that low a weight ever again, though those jeans in this pic I LOVED and would love to fit back into them again, but realistically I know that probably wont happen.

yes the weight gradually crept back on, i stayed about a size 12/14 for a while when I was working as a nursery nurse but then when i started working at hansel I quickly put a lot more on (though truth be told, we all did!), it was when my size 16's started feeling tight I knew I needed to do something about it. When I went to get my student nurse uniform fitted I had to go up to a size 18 for the trousers (they tend to say you need to go up a size from your normal anyway), and they were tight, but there was no way I was going back out and asking for a size 20!

so here we are now: I've ditched my scales and I am judging my weight loss through my loss of inches and the way my clothes fit. I want to tone up rather than slim down, get a bit of definition to my arms, legs, abs... I don't care if I still stay around the 14-16 size region (though I'd rather be more in the 14's than the 16's) but I want to feel more comfortable within my skin, and to do that, I need to exhange some of the fat for muscle.

I haven't regretted starting Zumba classes for one minute, even when my legs have been screaming at me, I never in a million years thought I would ever become so enthusiastic about a keep fit class, but I now understand that adrenaline rush people get when they exercise - just I like to do it to latin beats and in a dance studio rather than down a gym.

No comments: