About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Friday 21 May 2010

placement #3, zumba and other stuff...

I'm really enjoying my placement at the PDRU :) it's not really like a 'normal' medical ward, the people there aren't really there because they're sick, they're there to get their lives back on track after some sort of physical set back, which seems to either mean getting them back to how they were before, or helping them to adapt to the changes in their life. lots of wheelchairs, slings and hoists, OT, Physios etc...

all the staff and patients are great, I got to do 4 injections yesterday, I was shaking so much doing the first, it's been a good while since I've jabbed anyone - but by the time i got to the 4th my mentor was happy to stand back and observe from a distance. my mentor also let me observe wound care, as that's something we've yet to be taught about but will be getting assessed on later on in the semester - so as soon as I heard wound care was going to be going on, I asked to observe.

the day goes by pretty quick, though there are lulls in the day where there's little to do, i just grab one of the folders and read, it's usually not long before a buzzer goes.

I stayed over at Mary's on wednesday night, as she lives a lot closer to the hospital, but even though I didn't need to get up till gone 5, I woke up at just gone 4 and couldn't get back to sleep.

by the time I got home yesterday after having done those 4 jabs I think my adrenaline was running, I finished 2 of Lyna's tops, baked and decorated a cake, made myself food, cleaned out the ferret... this all happened within the space of about 2hrs! lol

head has been all over the place today, I've had real problems concentrating and remembering - but I think it's just the tiredness. I mean... everyone does that thing of where you walk out the door and to the kitchen and can't remember why it was you went, but this morning that was just happening constantly - it was actually getting to the stage where I was getting quite annoyed with myself.

I've just come back from Zumba - OMG it's hot out there, was melting during class! the lack of sleep has caught up with me, I was OK leaving the house but by the time i got to zumba i was actually shaking, I didn't really feel all that tired but my body was evidently saying that it's noticed it's not had as much rest as it usually gets lol, and as a result I don't think I did anywhere near as well as I ordinarily would have and at some points I felt like i had 2 left feet which I was getting pretty frustrated about...

there's a new routine we do which I really love- and it's not the mad racing about one! lol

Me and Mel now jockey for position in class, neither of us want to be in front of the mirrors (mirrors are EVIL!) so we tend to end up at one of the sides but we want to be close enough to the front to be able to clearly see what we're doing, but being right down the front usually means you're a prime taget for getting picked on! lol

i got 'got' today, during the squats - OMG I HATE THE SQUATS! I swear Lyna makes us do them just to see how far she can push us before we snap! lol apparently my arse wasn't low enough and my elbows weren't spreading my legs wide enough, once she'd moved me about my legs were screaming at me even more than before, and that's saying something! i knew I wasn't doing them as well as I have in the past, but I just physically couldn't manage it today.

Lyna liked her tops- i'm still pretty chuffed with them considering i drew on the designs last night after having been awake for about 20hrs and having had sod all sleep the previous 2 nights. I like the design on the white one, but the colours on the yellow - but I don't think it would look right with the 2 combined - I've got very set images in my head as to how the designs look and with what colours...

Mel got soup afterwards, soup in this weather to me is a like standing at the bus stop in the wind and rain eating an ice-cream! - we went via auchincruive to find where the new class is going to be taking place, so we now know where we're going and where we're parking :) bring on Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to school with one of the nurses at the PDRU, Tracey Smith. at least I think that's where she works. My brain is like pudding.

(MarieAnne)