About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Saturday 22 May 2010

migraines

I can remember being in college doing my nursery nursing and one of my class-mates frequently arriving half way though the day, looking awful, apologising profusely that she was late but that she'd had a migraine but that it takes a while for her medication to kick in.

I also remember sitting there thinking "pah, it's just a bad headache"

it wasn't until I had my first one a few years ago that I realise it is SO much more than a bad headache.

it's my vision which starts going funny first, usually just one eye, but the lower part of my vision looks like it's all under water - very strange, but I don't always get this. Then my neck and shoulders get stiff and sore - honestly the first time I got this I was starting to freak out that I had meningitis! after that is when the pain in the head starts, noises don't quite so much bother me, it's more the light.

I worked out my triggers quite a while ago - heat, too much sugar and dehydration, and thankfully since then I've only had about 1 in the past 2 years, though while sugar and keeping myself hydrated are things i can easily control, heat is something I'm at the mercy of mother nature with. I think it was mainly the heat today which did it, that coupled with the fact I've had so little sleep lately probably didn't help.

sometimes i get a warning, like the swimmy eyes - but sometimes, like this one, it kinda just pounces on me. usually by the time I realise it's a migraine it's too late to take anything as I just end up throwing up, so I just need to take to my bed with a cold washcloth on my forehead and just try and sleep it off.

So I took to my bed at about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, I kinda dozed on and off for a bit before properly falling asleep, then Paul came to bed and (ironically) woke me up - I thought it was maybe about 11 or 12, I honestly would never have guessed it would have been coming up on 3am! so i got up, made something to eat and here I now am, sitting in the living room with the dogs wondering what to do to keep myself occupied, I don't have much energy but I am also now not all that tired... don't worry I'm not gonna go starting to bake cakes or anything! lol

No comments: