About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Saturday 17 April 2010

ZUMBA!

I am sure a lot of you will have heard about Zumba, it's been around for a while now, even I remember seeing the corny american ads on TV years ago and just passing it off as another american craze which us stiff upper lipped british would just laugh at.

but OMG how wrong was I?

one of my sister-in-laws, Gemma, who lives down south, told me she had been going to her local class and that I should really think about going too, she raved about how much fun it was and the weight she was losing, she dug out a link for me for my local class "Zumba with Lyna" so I though, why not?

I posted up on FB and twitter that I was thinking about going and Melanie showed interested in going along too. She doesn't live too far away from me.

So last tuesday, off we went for our first class.

It was busy, REAL busy.

I was initially quite worried that this would be one of those classes where it'd be full of 19 year old supermodel type girls, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it really was just 'normal' women! all shapes and sizes and levels of fitness.

and so, after paying our class fee, we started.

I'll tell ya this now, when they say take a towel and water - TAKE A TOWEL AND WATER (and plenty of it! 1 bottle is NOT enough!) they will be your best friends in the class! take a fun loving attitude too ;o)

oh and if you've got boobs any bigger than about a B cup, you'll need a good sports bra! you have been warned!

the music is fast paced, the moves are hypnotic- they look complicated but Lyna builds them up in easy stages (they really don't expect you to come to the class knowing how to dance like this!), you work up such a sweat and you have GREAT fun! it doesn't really matter if you can't quite get the moves or can't do them quite as well as Lyna, we all go at our own pace, though Lyna is always pushing us to do the best we can, to accentuate our moves that little bit more, to squat that little bit lower....

We do 2 routines and then take a quick break to grab some water and towel ourselves down, you get to the stage where you feel your legs are going to fall off but you keep going because the music is just so infectious, your body wants to move even if you don't!

and so came the end and the cool down, I was quite surprised how flexible I still am when we were doing our stretches :o)

they talk about the "zumba afterglow" and it's quite true! you're left feeling amazing, on this almighty high and you can't help but smile and laugh :o)

I wont kid you, the next day i was sore.

Melanie had already decided she wanted to go to the class on friday afternoon too but I wasn't too sure, I was still pretty sore, but I kinda thought 'i have to go into Ayr anyway for the health library, I may as well, I'll just take it a little easier', so on friday mid-day, off we went again!

Class was much smaller this time, which we had anticipated, got chatting to Lyna and a few of the other women who were taking the class along with us.

and so again, we began.

routine was slightly different, my co-ordination was all over the place compared to Tuesday which annoyed me somewhat, as my co-ordination on tues had been really good (considering I've not danced since i was about 10, i was quite chuffed!), but I still had an absolute blast!

we left at just gone 2pm absolutely buzzing and feeling quite amazing that we'd got through another class!

last night, yet again, I was quite sore - my legs especially, but after having a soak in a bath and a nice long sleep, I woke up this morning ready for more and was actually quite depressed when I realised that I'd have to wait until Tuesday for my next class!

I'm nuts, I know - during the class I am sure Lyna is trying to kill us through dance, and yet we still go back for more! I feel so amazing within myself for going to these classes, it's too early to see a difference in weight or the way my clothes fit, but within myself, I am feeling great!

There's a Zumba beach party in Saltcoats in July, I am absolutely desperate to go! I am on my final 1st year nursing placement then so i wont know until a lot closer to the time if I can go, but I think I'll buy a ticket anyway, just in case.

bring on tuesday!

No comments: