About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Monday 14 February 2011

Zumba GOLD!


wow - what an eventful few days!

as I write this I am at my parents house in London, and the reason I am back in London can be explained with just 1 word - ZUMBA!

yesterday I qualifed as a Zumba Gold instructor!

I travelled down to London on friday after picking Caelan up from school, the journey was pretty un-eventful... apart from taking the wrong slip road about half way down and not realising until about 25 miles down the road that nothing looked at all familiar - it also added about an hour to the journey - but after my SatNav throwing some tantrums at me I eventually got back onto the right road and we arrived at just before midnight, so we still made reasonable time.

Saturday I didn't do much apart from chat to mum... just a normal lazy saturday... well, up until about 11pm anyway

I'd been in bed trying to get to sleep for about an hour, I turned over and felt this almighty pain shoot through my hip, through my glute and down into my left thigh.

I just couldn't believe it, I've had minimal issues with my hip injury for probably the best part of 10 years and the night before my training course it decides that that is the right time to throw a tantrum at me! I've been doing Zumba multiple times a week for 10 months now and never had an issue, but rolling over in bed was enough to make it go!!

I guess one plus side was that it was Gold training, the whole point of Gold is that's all about modifications for people with mobility issues etc - if it had been the high energy B2 I really am not sure if I'd have survived the day.

thankfully because I've had this issue with my hip since i was 15 I am quite aware of my limitations, so apart from it just being sore in general it really didn't hamper me too much.

the training was amazingly good fun, our ZES, Sirin, is a typical ZES - completely bonkers!! we had a blast and ended up with quite a few running jokes throughout the day. it was also quite an emotional day, there's so much more to the psychology and physiology of why we do Gold than you would ever think.

I met loads of wonderful instructors, swapped contact details with a few too- my Zumba family is ever expanding!

so got back to my parents last night still buzzing from the day, and as i was getting changed for bed I bent over to pick my clothes off the floor and I managed to pull a muscle in my other leg! yes I am actually falling apart! but fortunately because it's just a pulled muscle I can do stuff to ease the pain, whereas with my bursitis there is not really much I can do - though fortunately it is already feeling a lot better. climbing stairs is the only thing that I am really having any issue with, dad is enjoying making quips about needing to get me a stair lift... cheers dad.

we drive back up to scotland tomorrow - as long as I don't have to climb any stairs I'll be fine!

No comments: