About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Thursday 10 June 2010

my life flashed before my eyes!

to fully get the story i've got to back track to Monday.

I was at placement, so couldn't make Zumba, but I knew Mel was going, I also knew Paul would have Caelan in Ayr from taking Kieren to Cadets, so I had texted Mel saying I could give her a lift home when I collected Caelan, as I would be arriving in Ayr just around about 8 anyway.

turns out it was very fortunate I had offered the lift, as Chris (Mel's hubby) lost his wallet and bus pass at some point (they think when they went to leave the bus) and so were kinda stranded!

I met Mel in the hall after class had finished and introduced Caelan to Lyna, he was in a bit of a silly mood, so she tackled him to the floor and began tickling him, she then gave him a kiss which I think mortified him - lmao! what on earth would his wee girlfriend, Leah, say?! hehe

anyway, so that was monday - on tuesday was Mel and Chris' first infertility appointment, but because of the loss of Chris' wallet and buss pass, they were talking about having to cancel the appoinment, which would mean probably another 4 to 6 month wait for another one to come around, so... since I wasn't starting placement til 12:30, I offered them a lift in.

we were just on the final approach to the hospital, just coming off a roundabout when I must have hit a patch of oil on the road (not helped by the fact that is was raining!) - all I can really remember is the feel of the wheels going out from underneath the car and it just not responding at all to however i moved the steering wheel and the feel of it nearly going into a roll - next thing I remember is us coming to a stop - according to Mel what happened was we began to snake, hit the curb, bounced off of that and did a complete 360 spin before coming to a stop.

we ended up facing across the lanes, blocking 2 of them. we are SO incredibly fortunate that the road was completely empty when we spun or I have no doubt either we would have hit someone or someone would have hit us. if the cars that were behind us had just been even a couple of seconds earlier....

the car had stalled and initially I couldn't get it re-started, I remember looking at the sat-nav and thinking "worst comes to the worst, the hospital is just up the road, they could walk from here and still get to their appointment in time". thankfully i did manage to get the car re-started and after making sure everyone was OK, we carried on.

the car is OK, steering alignment is off just slightly but considering what could have been...

our nerves, on the other hand, took a bit more of a beating. I still have the shakes 2 days later and am having mini freak-outs every time the wind blows the car (it was really gusty yesterday, too!) and I know Mel really got quite a fright too.

I still went to my placement afterwards, all-be-it very cautiously, but I decided against going to Zumba that night, which I'd planned to do and was really looking forward to, my nerves were just completely in tatters and I don't think driving to somewhere I don't know would have done me any good, even if I had got there I don't think I was in any sort of fit emotional state to really have made the most of the class.

but I am not letting it get the better of me, I'm still going out in my car, despite the mini freak-outs, and I AM going to get to zumba tonight!

No comments: