About Me

I am 32 years young, mad mummy of 3 (10, 17 &19), wife to Paul (for 10 years), new qualified Learning Disabilities Nurse and owner of lots of animals!

Friday 1 July 2011

when exhaustion hits...

i've pretty much been on the go solidly since the beginning of semester B/trimester2 - ie, new year.

we never really got a proper holiday between semesters B and C as we had to take our uni holidays when the schools were off, which meant most of us had our 'holiday' in dribs and drabs in the middle of placement, and so as a result, it wasn't really a holiday as we still had placement and uni work to worry about.

add to that my sems B and C overlapped by a week as i got an extension for my sem B essays...

i'm now 1 week into my final placement of 2nd yearand I am absolutely done in and have no idea how i am going to make it to the end of 2nd year. i just need to get through this placement- 5 more weeks, 1 more essay, and that'll be 2nd year over and done with.

but at the mo I just don't know if i'll make it.

shattered doesn't even come close. I have completely and totally burnt out.

as if i wasn't burnt out from uni, Caelan's not been well lately either, 2 nights this past week he's been up most of the night throwing up and yet come the daytime he's been fine.

last night i managed to kick paul out of bed to deal with him, considering i dealt with Caelan last time, plus paul was working from home today - but still, i woke up whenever it was Caelan started being sick (i didn't look at the clock) and never really got properly back to sleep.

placement is going good, i'm back with the team i was with for my 1st placement of 1st year, same mentor too, but now my mentor is based in the Girvan end of south ayrshire... so most of my day is spent in the car, it's about 20 miles into town to get to the CLDT base, and then anywhere between 20 and 35 miles down to wherever we're going that day... so most days i'm travelling between 80 and 100 miles.

and today i had to traipse into uni to hand in my essay (we had to hand it in electronically too, so quite why we need to hand in a paper copy too i dunno), so again today i was on the road well over 100 miles.

only saving grace is that because i'm solely based with the community team and not with a family, only 40 miles of most of my days is my petrol, the rest is the nurse's. if i were placed in a family of my mentor's caseload all the miles would be mine.

that's glasgow caledonian logic for ya, place me in a relatively near-by team (20 miles away is near-by by rural scotland standards!) but in a sub-team which covers many many miles away.

i've got a charity Zumba class next weekend and i'm not sure where i'm gonna find the time to practice for it.

as it is i've had to cancel going to a Zumbathon this sunday as i'm going to a family event thing at Paul's work on saturday and I NEED at least 1 day to really just try and rest and re-gather my energy.

my bedroom looks like a chinese laundry, clothes get as far as coming out the tumble but then get dumped back in the big washbaskets waiting for me to gather up the enegry to sort and fold it all. - there's about 4 of them now and i'm trying to ignore them in the hope they'll sort themselves....

No comments: